I’m pretty sure you have heard the word detox more times than you can count on your fingers and toes. Hey #FABSQUAD! I hope 2017 is treating you well! Since it’s a new year, the word DETOX is all over the internet and your social media timelines. As your lifestyle pharmacist I am here to keep you fit, fabulous, and fulfilled without prescribed pills. I am also here to provide you with clarity on health and wellness topics that may be a bit confusing due to the sheer amount of information that is floating around. So by the time you finish reading this post you will understand exactly what a detox is and why it is important to your health.
Detoxification is simply the process of eliminating toxic substances from our bodies. Every day we encounter industrial chemicals, pesticides, food additives, pollutants, and heavy metals which wreak havoc on our cells. Other advantages include boosting of the immune system, and reduced dependency on sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Therefore, it is no surprise that a deep connection exists between a cellular detoxification and optimal health. So, by incorporating the practice of internal detoxification into your lifestyle you will keep your body performing at its best and you feeling FABULOUS!
Let me be clear. Contrary to what you may have heard, a detox does not have to be a period of days where you completely avoid solid foods. In fact, a food detox is a way to avoid the negative consequences of hunger and deprivation and still reduce your intake of sugar, salt, and caffeine. To do a food detox simply replace your breakfast and/or lunch with a loaded fruit and veggie smoothie, drink lots of water, snack on raw and cooked veggies whenever you feel hungry, and have a clean dinner. See I told ya’- a detox with food is possible.
So, when do you your food detox here are 5 self-care tips to incorporate daily for a FAB detox:
Self-Care Tip #1
- Make a daily hot bath in Epsom salt a part of your routine. Epsom salt helps to draw out additional toxins from the body.
Self-Care Tip #2
- Devote adequate time for sleep each night to counteract feelings of fatigue.
Self-Care Tip #3
- Exercise for 30 minutes each day to boost your energy. Something as simple as walking up and down the stairs at your home, going for a walk outside or playing with your children or pet in the backyard are simple ways to boost your energy.
Self-Care Tip #4
- Journal daily to record your feelings, successes, obstacles, and temptations during detox period. Getting these thoughts out of your head and on to the pages of your journal is a must.
Self-Care Tip #5
- Remember to relax. Deep breathing and stretching are great ways to soothe your body as it detoxifies.
For even more lifestyle tips be sure to download my FREE book and start Eating Your Way to FABULOUS!